Tips & tricks on how to attend holiday parties without losing track of your goals...
Let me guess, tonight’s your office’s holiday party, this weekend is your best friend’s ugly sweater party and then soon enough, you’re back home attending feasts like it’s Thanksgiving all over again. Just thinking about all of those delicious appetizers, artesian cheese boards and creative seasonal cocktails makes us feel like our calorie intake is on overload! Then, just when you think you’re in the clear and have a healthy mindset for the New Year, before you know it, you’ve promised five of your closest friends you would ‘stop by’ their parties!
No need to worry! We're here to provide some healthy holiday hacks to help you survive all of those glamorous holiday gatherings...
- Eat Before You Go - Try to eat a full meal prior to your party! Everything will look delicious and tempting but you won’t be starving when you walk through the door with a full stomach. “Saving” calories for later means you’ll feel overly hungry, which will cause your brain to release hunger hormones. By arriving to a holiday party on an empty stomach, you’re far more likely to overeat.
- Hydrate - Drink lots water! Not only will you stay hydrated but it will help you feel more full, so you won’t overindulge. In between parties, try having warm or cool water with lemon for a delicious detoxifying twist!
- Keep it Simple - If you’re running late and you couldn’t swing the ‘eat before you go’ hack, remember to keep it simple when ordering or choosing your snacks. Look for options with lots of protein, vegetables or healthy fats (i.e. chicken, fish, guacamole, bruschetta, shrimp cocktail, veggie trays etc.) Stay away from those creamy sauces, they’re full of fat and unwanted calories.
- Treat Yourself - If you want some sweets, go ahead. But don’t go overboard! Choose one or two items that look the best to you, and enjoy them! This way, you won’t feel like you’re missing out on that dessert table, but you won’t feel terrible tomorrow for eating way too much.
- Plan an Extra Workout - Work out first thing in the morning. It's going to rev up your metabolism and burn off some of those additional calories that you ate the night before. It's also going to get rid of any possible hangover because your circulation is going to kick up and you're going to get the toxins out of your body. It might stink for the first 20 minutes, but you'll feel so much better after!
- Keep your Hands Occupied - If you often find yourself drifting back for seconds, try holding a glass of water or plate in your hand while mingling. Not only will it keep you from going in for cookie number three (or four), but it sets your intention for the evening. Spending time with the ones you love to work with…and not the dessert table.
- Remember the Reason You're Celebrating - Concentrate on socializing, making new friends and having fun. Think about what you are celebrating and not just the great food. Better yet, be a rock-star guest and volunteer to help the host serve and wash dishes (which will also keep your mind off the food table).
As you can see, it is possible to have a blast this holiday season while never losing a beat in your healthy routine! Remember to indulge (a little) but balance is key. As always, share your healthy lifestyle with us at #MySportandHealth.