Fall means hiking, changing leaves.. and pumpkins! There aren't many veggies that provide so much versatility in cooking. Pumpkin can be enjoyed for breakfast, dinner or dessert! Below are a few of our favorite healthy pumpkin recipes for Fall!
Zesty Pumpkin Soup
This simple, 7-ingredient pumpkin soup is as healthy as it is easy to make - and perfectly satisfaying for chillier weather.
- 2 1/4 cups of pumpkin puree
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the tops of two sugar pumpkins and then halve them. Use a sharp spoon to scrape out all of the seeds and strings (see notes for a link to roasting seeds).
- Brush the flesh with oil and place face down on the baking sheet. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a fork easily pierces the skin. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, then peel away skin and set pumpkin aside.
- To a large saucepan over medium heat add 1 Tbsp olive oil, shallot and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned and translucent. Turn down heat if cooking too quickly.
- Add remaining ingredients, including the pumpkin, and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer soup mixture to a blender or use an emulsion blender to puree the soup. If using a blender, place a towel over the top of the lid before mixing to avoid any accidents. Pour mixture back into pot.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes and taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve as is or with Kale-Sesame topping.
5-ingredient Pumpkin Ice Cream
This ice cream is not only simply to make, but tastes like frozen pumpkin pie!
- 4 medium bananas, sliced and frozen overnight
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice, no sugar added if purchased
- Using a food processor, blend the bananas, pumpkin, maple syrup, and pumpkin spice thoroughly.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 24 hours.